Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook and the Naval Air Station were vital in defending the Pacific Northwest in response to the attack on Pearl Harbor. In 1942, the U.S. Navy began construction of 17 wooden hangars to house K-class airships that would be used for anti-submarine patrol and convoy escort. Two of these hangars were built at Naval Air Station Tillamook, which was commissioned in December 1942 to serve the Oregon-Washington-California coastal areas. In 1948, Naval Air Station Tillamook was decommissioned for good, ending a long and proud tradition. A fire in 1992 consumed Hangar A but Hangar B is standing and is reputed to be the largest wooden structure in the world at over 7 acres (you could play 6 football games at once).
The Tillamook Air Museum’s exhibit hall displays rare wartime and aviation themed artifacts, including authentic WWII medals and gear. The museum has photos, first hand documentations and uniforms from the Second World War and beyond. The film room has a short video that covers the history of how the hangars were built, all the way to the fire of 1992.
Tillamook Air Museum is filled with history housing history. Located at 6030 Hangar Road on Port of Tillamook Bay property off U.S. Highway 101 south of the city of Tillamook. The facility includes a gift shop and a 1950’s style restaurant that is a great spot for lunch. Open daily from 10am to 5pm with general admission $9 and seniors $8. For more information call (503) 842-1130 or visit their website.